22.12.09

Checking in

Checking in ia a process you go through every time you change from command to command.
Its a meet and greet process, along with getting rosters up to date and gear issued.

I met the Chaplin today, he had no idea about any kind of support for Buddhist practice.
He brought me to a coworker who happened to have a Japanese wife who told me the only time they go to the temple is for new years. And that he doesn't have any idea what the denomination is.

Other than that the process has been pretty smooth so far. Tomorrow I have a new-comers orientation then we're off for the weekend and I hope to finish checking in on Monday. This leaves me two days to do turnover with he guy I'm replacing. From what I am gathering so far, I would need about two months just to get a grasp of what goes on here. The good news is he is staying on the island so I will have some reach-back capability to ask for pointers when I get stuck.

Crossing my fingers that I will be able to get out status of forces agreement drivers license after the class tomorrow. Being cooped up in the hotel for the weekend is not what the family needs right now.

I think Im going to sit for a bit while the wife is out visiting a new friend with the kids and I have the place to my self.

8 comments:

ToBlog today said...

Happy Holidays, and a fabulous 2010!!!

Jeanette Yuinen Shin said...

Mmmmm. That does sound fairly typical. Many, if not most, Japanese even the ones who identify themselves as Buddhist, only go to the temple for New Years or when someone in the family dies! Most priests will just visit the homes of temple members to do a memorial service; temple attendance is just for the major services or other events. You should be in for a treat for New Year's anyway! Lots of bell-ringing!

You should think about becoming the Buddhist lay leader there, and start your own practice group.

Happy New Year's!

SlowZen said...

Thanks Angelina, you too!

SlowZen said...

Chaplin Shin,

Thanks I may be looking int that soon.

Happy New year!

Anonymous said...

Love the blog. Been awhile since we've heard from you in blogland. Hoping that you're getting your feet planted on the ground (that you're finding a house, that your first days on your own in the new post have gone well, that you're finding folks to practice with— I hear your frustration on that one! Been there, done that.) Wishing you a Happy 2010!

- a fan

SlowZen said...

Anon, Happy 2010 to you too!

Curator said...

Hey Jordan, its good to be back on for a moment and to read some of your posts, I hope things are going well for you and your family, hopefully I will be back on soon to read some more, ttyl.

SlowZen said...

Curator, Glad to see you around.

Thanks for looking!